Since forming in January 2011, The Bonny Men quickly and deservedly became the most talked about and exciting acts to emerge in the Irish trad / folk music scene. Upon releasing their highly acclaimed debut eponymous album in October of that year, the band quickly established themselves as the hottest ticket in Irish Music. The Bonny Men have played at some of the most prestigious festivals across the globe, with the reputation for electric performances delighting audiences across Ireland, France, The U.K., Denmark, India, Indonesia, Italy and Zambia.
2015 saw the release of the band’s second album “Moyne Road”. Again, this proved to be a roaring success, reaching no. 1 in the Irish Music charts again receiving rave reviews from critics… ” Moyne Road is a scintillating album that alternates driving , high octane instrumental sets with thoughtful and characterful new songs composed by the band members themselves”- The Living Tradition.
Television appearances have been in abundance of late. Documentaries about the band, as seen on TG4’s “Ar ThA?ir an Cheoil”, and music shows such as BBC’s “Cuisle” and most recently “Bosca Ceoil” have showcased the band’s talents to the nation and continue to exponentially increase their fan base.
Comprised of seven individuals, each masters of their own instruments, with titles among them including multiple All-Ireland Champions, World BodhrA?n Champion, and a recipient of the prestigious TG4 “Young Musician of the Year”, The Bonny Men generate a powerful sound that encapsulates the very soul of traditional music. Singing a mixture of original and contemporary folk songs, laden with creative harmonies, and playing sets of tunes bursting with explosive energy, their music always delivers. With clever and intriguing arrangements, never shy of character or personality, every Bonny Men gig is a musical experience from start to finish.
a�?The Bonny Men create a dynamic sound that captures the essence of traditional music at ita��s besta�?
Bosca Ceoil, TG4
a�?a�?The Bonny Mena��, captures the raw energy and life with which these young musicians play music.a�?
a�?A reputation for electric live performances with an energy reminiscent of the legendary Bothy Banda�?
a�?New territory for a traditional banda�?
Moyne Road (2015)
‘Moyne Road‘, is the second album by The Bonny Men. Named after the street in the suburb of Ranelagh, Dublin 6, this is the home of the A�’Casaide family, and also where all the bands rehearsals take place.
This new album exposes The Bonny Men‘s trademark high-octane musical sets, full of life, creativity and character. Their latest album also sees the band take a creative step in original song composition.
Expect to hear harmony rich folk songs in both languages of English and Irish.A�Recorded live in Beech Park & Marguerite Studios, ‘Moyne Road’ delivers the essential Bonny Men sound from start to finish that has made this band one of the best of their generation.
You can now buy The Bonny Men‘s new album ‘Moyne Road‘ via PayPal. Just click on the Buy NowA�button below and follow the instructions provided.
- Kottayam (Barry Lyons)
- D/C – Sporting Nell, Mick O’Connor’s, The Jug of Punch, The Bunch of Green Rushes
- Roads (Barry Lyons, MaitiA? A� Casaide, Natalie Ni Chasaide)
- The New Jigs – The Sweet Briar, Fraher’s, An BuachaillA�n BuA�
- Sometimes (Barry Lyons)
- Cashmere – The Cashmere Shawl, The Hairy Chested Frog, Gan Ainm
- Slides II – Gan Ainm, Gan Ainm, Follow Me Up to Carlow
- An PA?taire (MaitiA? A� Casaide)
- Hardyman – Hardyman the Fiddler, The Horse Shoe, MairseA?il Alasdraim
- The Day is Mine (Barry Lyons)
- The Famous Ballymote – The Piper’s Despair, A�Coleman’s Cross , Corney is Coming, Matt People’s, A�Gan Ainm, The Pinch of Snuff, The Famous Ballymote
The Bonny MenA�(2011)
The Bonny Men‘s debut album, self entitled ‘The Bonny Men’, was recorded live over four days in the internationally renowned Windmill Lane Recording Studios.
The album captures the raw energy and life with which these young musicians play music.A�Described as “a complete breath of fresh air“, and “an album that would remindA�you of the explosive power of The Bothy Band“, this album has all the hallmarks of anA�instant classic.
You can now buy The Bonny Men‘s new album ‘The Bonny Men’ via PayPal. Just click on the Buy NowA�button below and follow the instructions provided.
- The Jigs – The Boys Of Tanragee, The First Slip, Maire Rua, The Yellow Wattle
- The A Minor set – Larrya��s Favourite, Within A Mile Of Dublin, The Ballaghadereen Fair, The Jolly Tinker
- Dig A Well (Joey Doyle)
- The Slow Jigs – Elizabeth Kellya��s Delight, Elizabeth Kellya��s
- The Slides – The Worn Torn Petticoat, The Whole Chicken In The Soup, The Cat Jumped Into The Mousea��s Hole And Didna��t Come Out Till Morning, The Outlaw
- Morecambe Bay (Aido Lawlor)
- Mullinavat – Caher Rua, The Kilcloon, The Reel Of Mullinavat
- Planxty – Planxty Charles Oa��Connor, The King Of The Pipers, Cnoc Na Teampaill
- Caoineadh na dTrA� Mhuire (RA?isA�n Chambers)
- Harvest Moon – The Happy Days Of Easter, Rising Sun, Pretty Girls Of Mayo, Harvest Moon
- The Hop Jigs – Comb Your Hair And Curl It, Shaving Baby With A Spoon, Cucanandy
- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (A?de Nic MhathA?na)
Faire DA� Luain, rA?s capaill DA� MA?irt,
Stag ar an ChA�adaoin a mhaireann trA� lA?
TA? muid i mbaoill ag leadrA?n an tsaoil,
Ach tA?a��s ag an PA?taire cA? bhfuil a thriail
Is MA?s fA�idir liom, beidh mA� ann
NA� thostA?far mA� nA? scair mA� A?n leann
Beidh MA� ag ragairnA�l mall is go trom
Tar liom, a stA?r, an dtiocfaidh tA? liom?
Cloisim go neirtear nach bhfuil agam gnA?,
Gan tuairim nA? tuiscint ar chA?rsaA� gan cheo
Nach mise an duine tA? ag seinm an cheoil?
a�?S le hamhrA?in faoi scA�alta a tharla fadA?
Dia A?r sA?bhA?il an bhfaca tA?a��n dream
Faoi dhraA�ocht ag An PA?taire le scA�alta is greann
Iontas is alltacht san oA�che go mall
Ag luascadh go meidhreach anonn is anall
Doirtear an portar is lA?bann an ceol
NA�l oA�che An PhA?taire chA�ochnai go fA?il
LuA� go heirA� na grA�ine anocht
TA? leigheas sa leann seo, A?lfaimid deoch
BA�onn an tAire SlA?inte de lA? is d’oA�ch’
Ag gearA?n go bhfuil muid ag A?l barraiocht dA�
Ach deirimse leatsa gan lA�ar a chur ann
Bheadh an tA�r ar a tA?in gan an chA?in ar an leann
Song Meaning: This is a song told by An PA?taire – Irish for ‘the drinker’, a happy go lucky, larger than life character, who likes nothing more than a good night spent drinking with his pals. Telling stories and playing music late through the night and enjoying the company of fellow revellers. He claims to have saved the nation from going bankrupt because of the high taxes he pays through his alcohol consumption.